Map_Limsa_Lominsa

Map_Limsa_Lominsa

Monday, June 29, 2015

Dealer's Choice #3

Yay, gays. Sorry, democracy.



This is a so very controversial topic that I’m so very scared to write. But I’d like to try. Notice: I’m far from an expert, so this post may be full of crap.
Above all, I would like to congratulate all gay and lesbian couples, especially those who have been in love for an appropriate length of time and planned to get married but failed because of the law: now you have reached a goal that you wanted for long, now you have a new way to declare your loyalty, and now you possess new welfare.
However, I’m also so very confused by this result.
But as far as I concerned, the way that The Court rules is that it does not need each state to agree, yet as it holds same-sex couples may exercise the fundamental right to marry in all states, each state has to follow. I have heard that this decision was made by only 9 persons, however intelligent and profound they are, who cannot represent the will of people from each state.
Especially Texas, I’m afraid, whose people are very unsatisfied about this result.
As a pure straight guy, I respect and fail to understand same-sex romance at the same time. I won’t say anything bad about same-sex romance, but I’m definitely not sure if I can say anything positive either. When some of my straight friends (mostly girls) keep telling me something like “aww that gay couples are cute!” “I’m wondering who’s the top and who’s the bottom <3”, I’m like “okay I wish the best for them but sorry not interested in picturing anything”. Born and fed in a coastal city with open and diverse cultures, I don't feel sick or hold firm opposition toward same-sex romance, but I know many people are like so. Over a very long period of time the mainstream culture had defined same-sex romance as a mental illness which suppressed and deprived some basic human rights from those gays and lesbians, but today, interestingly enough, the public opinion starts to stand on the exact opposite side – as least what I see on the Internet, people look down on those who will speak against same-sex romance. Long time ago, the majority of people have same-sex romance discrimination, and those people are discriminated by many people today.
So the question is – what causes this?
Let me try. Maybe the number of gays and lesbians has been growing rapidly, and till today the number of people is finally considerable. Maybe it’s the new generation whose attitudes toward new stuff are more open. Maybe it’s just because people are more expressive, or at least are braver to express themselves. Maybe it’s a more civilized society today and people are paying more attention to human rights.
All reasons sound true. However, all these reasons are set on the assumption that same-sex marriages are humane and correct; the previous ban on same-sex marriage made no sense which is why it is overruled now.
Please don’t yell at me if you don't feel comfortable with the word “assumption”. I’m not an expert so I know little about it, but what I do know is –
This really was not the case a long time ago.
So my real question is – what is the foundation of this legalization? How does same-sex romance gradually change its image in front of the public (of heterosexual people)?
The hashtag for this event is Love Wins. Love seems to be the biggest reason that rationalize same-sex romance. Also, since lives are born equal, so gays and lesbians deserve the basic human rights to get into the legal commitment of having a family.
Let’s shift our focus on near-relation romance.
I guess most people will feel awkward or uncomfortable imagining siblings making out with each other. This kind of love is forbidden until today.
But how can you deny the possibility of a true love between brother and sister?
Assume for some reasons the group grows with time, and at some point in the future, the number of people who fall in mutual love with their siblings become considerable. Also, as they have more comrades, they are braver to express themselves and fight for human rights.
Should near-relation marriage become legal, too?
You might argue that near-relation marriage will produce abnormal kids. OK, let’s assume that the new law allows near-relation marriage while forbids near-relation couple to give birth to kids. Would that be OK for you? Will you agree with that law? Can you support that decision just like you, as a heterosexual person, support same-sex marriage?
You might argue that not being able to give birth to healthy normal kid is a natural and high possible result of near-relation marriage; this is in its nature so it should be banned. So what’s your opinion on the fact that same-sex can’t give birth to a child on their own?
You might argue that it is against the nature for people to seek love within the blood. Well, some time ago most people thought that same-sex romance is against the nature. What justifies same-sex romance that cannot justify near-relation romance?
At the very least, I’m a pure straight guy who understands neither same-sex nor near-relation romance. If I can support same-sex romance, why can’t I support near-relation romance?
Maybe one day in the future, your two kids, either a boy and a girl or two boys / two girls, they fall in love with each other, and got married which is protected by the law. You can’t argue with them because otherwise it is a contempt of law and human right. You have to accept this fact and love them with all your heart, because that’s what the Court asks you to do. Although most people around you may not like this outcome, but since the Court doesn’t need to ask for agreement from each state to make this decision, people don’t get to vote for the situation. You have to obey.
Yes, minority people have freedom now, but democracy is off the table.
Is this good or bad?



No comments:

Post a Comment